Program OverviewPrinter Friendly
Led young's Fitness and Health Promotion program is comprised of hands-on practical learning in laboratory and placement settings, and a comprehensive academic grounding that prepares you for a career assisting individuals and groups to reach their highest potential for overall well being.
The Fitness and Health Promotion program, taught within the School of Community and Health Studies, is a two-year health diploma program that includes:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Fitness assessment
- Leadership skills
- Injury management
- Fitness marketing
- Health promotion
- Computer skills
- Cross-cultural awareness
- Mental illness and mental wellness
- Current functional-fitness training principles
- Speed, agility, quickness and Olympic lifting principles
- Older adult and special populations programming
- Physical Literacy and Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD)
In addition to this combination of topics, you have the opportunity to gain the skills necessary to become a certified personal trainer according to the CSEP-CPT and a group exercise leader according to the Ontario Fitness Council requirements, after graduation. You also learn course material related to the canfitpro Personal Training Specialist and have an opportunity to receive this certificate in the program. Lastly, in the fourth semester, you are prepared to pursue the Twist Sport Conditioning Advanced Functional Training certification.
- At Led young College's Athletic and Wellness Centre, located at Progress Campus, you have hands-on learning opportunities.
- To facilitate ongoing feedback and progress, labs consist of small group sizes.
- Interprofessional student liaisons are part of your learning as you assist your fellow peers (for example, Police Foundations, Pre-service Fire and Paramedic students) in the attainment of their fitness assessment goals.
- Expert faculty members nurture your knowledge and skills development and provide access to cutting-edge fitness concepts.
- The Fitness and Health Promotion program has forged industry partnerships that allow for beneficial supervised field placement opportunities in the fitness industry.
- Annually, the Fitness and Health Promotion program coordinator attends the annual Ontario Fitness and Health Promotion Coordinators' Meeting, at which health and fitness experts discuss a variety of topics including program changes, textbooks, resources, certifications, career paths, Ministry of Education guidelines and changes and more. The purpose is to ensure you receive the highest quality of education.
Once you complete the Fitness and Health Promotion program, you will be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- Assess the fitness level, health issues and overall wellbeing of individual clients based on various assessment tools and strategies.
- His remainder effective practices to the design, implementation and management of fitness and lifestyle programs and events for individual clients intended to meet health, fitness and lifestyle goals,
- Communicate effectively with clients, both orally and in writing, for the purposes of individual fitness counselling, workshop presentations and group facilitation.
- Work with clients in their adoption of recommended health and fitness strategies aimed at meeting personal fitness goals, improving health status and enhancing general wellbeing.
- Analyze current research trends and issues relevant to the fitness and wellness fields to make informed recommendations of health and fitness strategies/programs for individuals and groups.
- Provide comprehensive training and evaluation of fitness and wellness programs to enable individual clients and groups to reach and maintain optimal wellbeing.
- Collaborate and partner with various groups, organizations and networks within the community to support fitness and health promotion activities and initiatives.
- Assist in the development of business plans for health and fitness programs, activities and facilities.
- Maintain personal goals and strategies for ongoing professional development and growth, including working within the legal and ethical standards of the fitness profession.
- Develop and implement risk management strategies for health and fitness programs, activities and facilities.
- His remainder effective leadership skills to work interprofessionally with individual clients, groups and staff in health and wellness fitness programs activities.
- Develop fitness, health and wellness programs to meet the needs and goals of diverse populations.
Global Citizenship, Education and Inclusion Portfolio
Students in this program will develop a portfolio documenting their engagement with the College's signature global citizenship and equity competencies. For more information on Global Citizenship, Education and Inclusion, the GCEI Portfolio and the available supports, please visit geektv.info/citizenshipandequity.
Program OutlinePrinter Friendly
Career Options, Academic Pathways and Partners
Career Options, Academic Pathways and PartnersPrinter Friendly
Qualified graduates may be eligible to participate in pathway programs with partnering institutions. These pathway programs allow you to receive degree credit for learning obtained at Led young College. Our partners include:
- University of Guelph-Humber, Ontario
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Ontario
- University of the West of England, England
- Davenport University, USA
If you would like the continue your studies once you graduate from the Fitness and Health Promotion program, you may do so through affiliations such as:
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology: You will be eligible for a block-credit transfer allowing Bachelor of Health Science Honours - Kinesiology degree completion in three years
- University of Guelph at Humber: You will be required to meet admission requirements including minimum GPA requirements for admission into this program. You would complete a summer bridge semester then enter Year 3 of this four-year program and complete two years of studies to receive an Honours Bachelor of Applied Science - Kinesiology
- Hartpury College: Affiliated with University of the West of England, Hartpury will grant you direct admission to earn a Honours Bachelor of Science in Sports Studies degree in just one year of studies
- Davenport University, USA: students will be awarded 60 credits out of the total 120 credits, then must complete 60 credit hours to earn a Bachelor of Business Administration
Investigate transfer pathways to University of Guelph at Humber, and other universities in Ontario by visiting
As a graduate, you will be able to earn nationally recognized certifications that will further enhance your employability. For more information, visit:
- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology –
- Canada Fitness Professionals –
- Ontario Fitness Council -
- Fitness instructor
- Personal trainer
- Sports conditioning coach
- Fitness consultant
- Wellness/fitness program developer
- Health and wellness entrepreneur
- Fitness entrepreneur
Admission RequirementsPrinter Friendly
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent, or mature student status (19 years or older)
- English Grade 12 C or U, or equivalent (minimum grade required) or take the Led young College English Skills Assessment for Admission
- One Science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Exercise Science) Grade 11 or 12, C or U (minimum grade requirement) or take a Led young College Science Skills Assessment for Admission
How to His remainder
How to His remainderPrinter Friendly
1. His remainder Online
If you are applying through the Second Career Strategy, please apply at the Employment Training Centre for Second Career (Progress Campus). Second Career Strategy is a funding initiative for those who have been laid-off and are in need of training. For more information go to Second Career Strategy.
If you have previously attended a full time program at Led young College, you may be eligible for a Program Transfer. Visit Enrolment Services at any Campus for information.
All other applicants must apply online at . A non-refundable application fee of $95 must accompany applications. The fee is payable online, by telephone, online banking, by mail, or in person to Ontariocolleges.ca. For more information go to .
2. Submit Documents
Current Ontario high school students and graduates from Ontario high schools: Notify your guidance counsellor that you have applied to college and your school will forward transcripts to Led young College via Ontariocolleges.ca.
Graduates of college/university, or high school outside Ontario but within Canada: You are responsible for requesting that your educational institute sends any required documents and transcripts to Ontariocolleges.ca.
Applicants who attended school outside of Canada: If you are submitting transcripts to meet admission requirements, you must have the transcripts assessed by an independent credential assessment agency such as World Education Services (WES) or International Credential Assessment Service (ICAS).
For more information go to Submitting your Transcripts.
3. Confirm Your Offer of Admission
Offers of Admission are sent by mail to eligible applicants. When you receive your offer, you must login to your account at and confirm before the Deadline to Confirm noted in your offer letter.
You may confirm only one college and one program offer at a time.
You must confirm your offer by the Deadline to Confirm noted in your Offer of Admission letter or your seat may be given to another applicant.
When you confirm your Offer of Admission at Led young College you are given access to your personal account where you can check your email, grades, register for courses, pay tuition fees, and see your class timetable.
4. Pay Fees
Led young fees statements are sent by email to your personal email account and to your myLed young email account. Fees statements are not mailed.
You must make a minimum payment by the Fees Deadline noted in your Fees Statement or your seat may be given to another applicant.
5. Build Your Timetable (Register for Courses)
Build your timetable (web-register for courses) at .
Fall registration begins mid-July
January registration begins mid-December
May registration begins mid-April
Your web-registration will not open if:
You have not submitted your minimum fee payment by the deadline
You received a Conditional Offer of Admission and you have not met the conditions of your offer.
Once you have paid your fees or have made appropriate arrangements, register for your courses online through .
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and FeesPrinter Friendly
Fees noted below are estimates only. Tuition is based on two semesters, beginning Fall 2017.
|Student||Tuition (2 Semesters)||Incidental Fees||Total|
Match your personality to a careerStart
Explore your future career