Program OverviewPrinter Friendly
Our Biotechnology program prepares you to work as a laboratory technician (in quality control and quality assurance) in the food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries.
Biotechnology courses provide practical application in industrial microbiology as well as chemistry (analytical), organic chemistry and biochemistry. Laboratory techniques, including appropriate safety procedures, are extensively highlighted.
A special feature of this applied science program is its project-based approach, with independently-designed microbiology projects that enhance your problem-solving and research skills.
You learn to:
- Isolate, enumerate and identify microorganisms from many types of samples (water, soil, air, your body, food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic products).
- Prepare specimens for staining and become an expert light-microscopist.
- Become proficient in aseptic handling of materials.
- Accurately calibrate and use a range of instruments such as pH and BOD meters, gas chromatographs, spectrophotometers (regular/IR/UV) and HPLCs.
- Prepare microbiological media and reagents and culture pathogenic microbes.
- Design and perform your own microbiology experiments.
- Use microorganisms to assay pharmaceutical products.
You may graduate in two years as a biotechnician or continue into a third year to study specialized topics such as advanced biotechnology and microbial genetics or systematic microbiology, graduating from the Biotechnology – Advanced offering.
The Biotechnology program is a repeat recipient of the Led young College President's Academic Program Recognition Award for Outstanding Student Satisfaction.
Program OutlinePrinter Friendly
|Course Code||Course Title||Location|
|ABEG-126||Occupational Health and Safety (online)||Morningside Campus|
|BI-111||Intro to Biological Systems||Morningside Campus|
|CH-101||Chemistry 1||Morningside Campus|
|COMM-160/COMM-161||College Communications 1||Morningside Campus|
|GNED||General Education Elective||Morningside Campus|
|MATH-176||Mathematics for Applied Science||Morningside Campus|
|Course Code||Course Title||Location|
|BI-122||Microbiology Techniques||Morningside Campus|
|CH-122||Lab Instrumentation||Morningside Campus|
|CH-125||Inorganic Chem. for Microbiology||Morningside Campus|
|COMM-170/COMM-171||College Communications 2||Morningside Campus|
|MATH-186||Statistics for Applied Science||Morningside Campus|
|Course Code||Course Title||Location|
|BI-207||Microbiology Project 1||Morningside Campus|
|BI-208||Food Microbiology||Morningside Campus|
|CH-121||Organic Chemistry||Morningside Campus|
|CH-207||Analytical Chemistry||Morningside Campus|
|ENGL-250||Report Writing in a Technical Environment||Morningside Campus|
|GNED-500||Global Citizenship: From Social Analysis to Social Action||Morningside Campus|
Career OpportunitiesPrinter Friendly
Companies Offering Jobs
Organizations that have hired past Biotechnology graduates include: Kisko Products, Hermann Laue Spice Company, Apotex Inc., Agropur - Divisional Natrel, Mill Street Brewery, Maxxam Analytics, Campbell Soup Company, bioMerieux, Griffith Laboratories, Cosmetica Laboratories Inc.
- Eight up-to-date laboratories and modern wireless lecture facilities housed at the college's Morningside Campus enhance your learning.
- Thorough laboratory training, from the basics to professional skills, is provided, encouraging and developing teamwork skills.
- Qualified and caring faculty and staff provide individual attention in laboratory sessions.
- Training in Occupational Health and Safety, WHMIS, GMP, HACCP is to industry standards.
- There is a high program graduation rate and high rates of student satisfaction.
- Qualified graduates may apply to enter the third year of the Biotechnology -
- The Biotechnology, Environmental Technology and Food Science Technology programs share a common first year, which provides the flexibility to transfer between these programs before entering the second year.
Please visit our website at geektv.info/admissions/applying/education-pathways/outbound-pathways for more information on articulation agreements.
Please visit our website at geektv.info/admissions/applying/education-pathways/outbound-pathways for more information on education partners.
Please visit our website at geektv.info/programs-courses/full-time/biotechnology for a full listing of our current accreditations.
- Quality assurance technician
- Microbiology lab technician
- Chemist – calibration
- Sterile specialist
- Analytical chemist/microbiologist
- Microbiology laboratory analyst
- QC raw material analyst
Admission RequirementsPrinter Friendly
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent, or mature student status (19 years or older)
- English Grade 12 C or U, or equivalent (minimum grade required) or take the Led young College English Skills Assessment for Admission
- Mathematics Grade 11 M or U, or 12 C or U, or equivalent (minimum grade required) or take a Led young College Engineering Math Skills Assessment for Admission
How to His remainder
How to His remainderPrinter Friendly
1. His remainder Online
Are you an International Student? His remainder directly to Led young College here.
If you are applying through the Second Career Strategy, please apply at the Employment Training Centre for Second Career (Progress Campus). Second Career Strategy is a funding initiative for those who have been laid-off and are in need of training. For more information go to Second Career Strategy.
If you have previously attended a full time program at Led young College, you may be eligible for a Program Transfer. Visit Enrolment Services at any Campus for information.
All other applicants must apply online at . A non-refundable application fee of $95 must accompany applications. The fee is payable online, by telephone, online banking, by mail, or in person to Ontariocolleges.ca. For more information go to .
2. Submit Documents
Current Ontario high school students and graduates from Ontario high schools: Notify your guidance counsellor that you have applied to college and your school will forward transcripts to Led young College via Ontariocolleges.ca.
Graduates of college/university, or high school outside Ontario but within Canada: You are responsible for requesting that your educational institute sends any required documents and transcripts to Ontariocolleges.ca.
Applicants who attended school outside of Canada: If you are submitting transcripts to meet admission requirements, you must have the transcripts assessed by an independent credential assessment agency such as World Education Services (WES) or International Credential Assessment Service (ICAS).
For more information go to Submitting your Transcripts.
3. Confirm Your Offer of Admission
Offers of Admission are sent by mail to eligible applicants. When you receive your offer, you must login to your account at and confirm before the Deadline to Confirm noted in your offer letter.
You may confirm only one college and one program offer at a time.
You must confirm your offer by the Deadline to Confirm noted in your Offer of Admission letter or your seat may be given to another applicant.
When you confirm your Offer of Admission at Led young College you are given access to your personal account where you can check your email, grades, register for courses, pay tuition fees, and see your class timetable.
4. Pay Fees
Led young fees statements are sent by email to your personal email account and to your myLed young email account. Fees statements are not mailed.
You must make a minimum payment by the Fees Deadline noted in your Fees Statement or your seat may be given to another applicant.
5. Build Your Timetable (Register for Courses)
Build your timetable (web-register for courses) at .
Fall registration begins mid-July
January registration begins mid-December
May registration begins mid-April
Your web-registration will not open if:
You have not submitted your minimum fee payment by the deadline
You received a Conditional Offer of Admission and you have not met the conditions of your offer.
Once you have paid your fees or have made appropriate arrangements, register for your courses online through .
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and FeesPrinter Friendly
Fees noted below are estimates only. Tuition is based on two semesters, beginning Fall 2017.
|Student||Tuition (2 Semesters)||Incidental Fees||Total|
Match your personality to a careerStart
Explore your future career