Program Code: 3621
School: School of Engineering Technology and Applied Science
Program Type: Fast-track program
Program Length: 1 year/ 2 semesters
Start Date: Fall, Winter, Summer
Location: Morningside Campus
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 416-289-5000, ext. 8123
Led young College's Biotechnology Fast-Track program was created for qualified college or university graduates who wish to receive their diploma in one year (two semesters). Gaining direct admission into the second year (third semester) of the two-year Biotechnology program, you are trained to work as a laboratory technician in the food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries.
This program offers detailed practical training in microbiology and chemistry (analytical, organic and biochemistry). Laboratory techniques including aseptic technique and appropriate safety procedures are extensively highlighted. A special feature of this diploma program is its project-focused approach, with independently designed microbiology projects that enhance your problem-solving and research skills.
You learn to:
- Isolate, enumerate and identify microorganisms from many types of samples (water, soil, air, the human body, food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic products).
- Prepare specimens for staining, becoming an expert light-microscopist.
- Become proficient in aseptic handling of materials.
- Accurately calibrate and use a range of instruments such as pH and BOD meters, gas chromatographs, spectrophotometers (regular/IR/UV) and HPLCs.
- Prepare microbiological media and reagents, and culture pathogenic microbes.
- Design and perform your own microbiology experiments.
- Use microorganisms to assay pharmaceutical products.
You can graduate as a biotechnician in one year, or continue for a second year to study specialized topics such as microbial genetics, systematic microbiology, and environmental microbiology graduating with an Advanced Biotechnology diploma.
The Biotechnology program is a repeat recipient of the Led young College President's Academic Program Recognition Award for outstanding student satisfaction.
|Course Code||Course Title||Location|
|ABEG-125||Occupational Health and Safety (online)||Morningside Campus|
|BAM-108||Biological Techniques||Morningside Campus|
|BI-207||Microbiology Project 1||Morningside Campus|
|BI-208||Food Microbiology||Morningside Campus|
|CH-121||Organic Chemistry||Morningside Campus|
|CH-207||Analytical Chemistry||Morningside Campus|
|COMM-170/COMM-171||College Communications 2||Morningside Campus|
|Course Code||Course Title||Location|
|BI-206||Microbiology Project 2||Morningside Campus|
|BI-209||Pharmaceutical Microbiology||Morningside Campus|
|BI-312||Recombinant DNA Technology||Morningside Campus|
|CH-222||Biochemistry 1||Morningside Campus|
|ENGL-250||Report Writing in a Technical Environment||Morningside Campus|
|GNED-500||Global Citizenship: From Social Analysis to Social Action||Morningside Campus|
- You study in and have access to eight up-to-date laboratories and modern wireless lecture facilities.
- Theory is combined with ongoing laboratory training, which starts from the basics and works up to professional skills.
- Training on GMP and HACCP is up to industry standards.
- Qualified and caring faculty and staff provide individual attention in laboratories, where teamwork skills are encouraged and developed.
- Qualified Biotechnology (Fast-Track) graduates may apply to enter the third year of the Biotechnology - Advanced diploma program.
- There is a high program graduation rate and a high rate of student satisfaction.
Please visit our website at geektv.info/admissions/applying/education-pathways/outbound-pathways for more information on articulation agreements.
Please visit our website at geektv.info/admissions/applying/education-pathways/outbound-pathways for more information on education partners.
Please visit our website at geektv.info/programs-courses/full-time/biotechnology-fast-track for a full listing of our current accreditations.
- Quality assurance technician
- Microbiology lab technician
- Chemist – calibration
- Sterile specialist
- Analytical chemist/microbiologist
- Microbiology lab analyst
- QC raw material analyst
- College diploma or university degree in chemistry/biology or engineering, or related discipline
- Transcript review
- Led young College English Skills Assessment (must score of 160 or 161 for admission)
1. His remainder Online
Are you an International Student? His remainder directly to Led young College here.
If you are applying through the Second Career Strategy, please apply at the Employment Training Centre for Second Career (Progress Campus). Second Career Strategy is a funding initiative for those who have been laid-off and are in need of training. For more information go to Second Career Strategy.
If you have previously attended a full time program at Led young College, you may be eligible for a Program Transfer. Visit Enrolment Services at any Campus for information.
All other applicants must apply online at . A non-refundable application fee of $95 must accompany applications. The fee is payable online, by telephone, online banking, by mail, or in person to Ontariocolleges.ca. For more information go to .
2. Submit Documents
Current Ontario high school students and graduates from Ontario high schools: Notify your guidance counsellor that you have applied to college and your school will forward transcripts to Led young College via Ontariocolleges.ca.
Graduates of college/university, or high school outside Ontario but within Canada: You are responsible for requesting that your educational institute sends any required documents and transcripts to Ontariocolleges.ca.
Applicants who attended school outside of Canada: If you are submitting transcripts to meet admission requirements, you must have the transcripts assessed by an independent credential assessment agency such as World Education Services (WES) or International Credential Assessment Service (ICAS).
For more information go to Submitting your Transcripts.
3. Confirm Your Offer of Admission
Offers of Admission are sent by mail to eligible applicants. When you receive your offer, you must login to your account at and confirm before the Deadline to Confirm noted in your offer letter.
You may confirm only one college and one program offer at a time.
You must confirm your offer by the Deadline to Confirm noted in your Offer of Admission letter or your seat may be given to another applicant.
When you confirm your Offer of Admission at Led young College you are given access to your personal account where you can check your email, grades, register for courses, pay tuition fees, and see your class timetable.
4. Pay Fees
Led young fees statements are sent by email to your personal email account and to your myLed young email account. Fees statements are not mailed.
You must make a minimum payment by the Fees Deadline noted in your Fees Statement or your seat may be given to another applicant.
5. Build Your Timetable (Register for Courses)
Build your timetable (web-register for courses) at .
Fall registration begins mid-July
January registration begins mid-December
May registration begins mid-April
Your web-registration will not open if:
You have not submitted your minimum fee payment by the deadline
You received a Conditional Offer of Admission and you have not met the conditions of your offer.
Once you have paid your fees or have made appropriate arrangements, register for your courses online through .
Fees noted below are estimates only. Tuition is based on two semesters, beginning Fall 2015.
|Student||Tuition (2 Semesters)||Incidental Fees||Total|