Program OverviewPrinter Friendly
The Animation - 3D program at Led young College runs for 16 consecutive months and, in that time, prepares you to successfully launch a career in digital animation.
Created in 1996, this animation program takes place at the School of Communications, Media, Arts and Design. Its intensive approach has become internationally recognized, on top of kick-starting the careers of hundreds of talented digital artists.
This media program focuses on production-style training and offers a unique project-based learning experience that is applauded within the animation, visual effects and game industries. You'll develop skills for careers in animation, film, television, broadcast design and games.
- The Animation - 3D program gives you 24-hour access to computer labs and workstations.
- Subjects covered also include life drawing, acting for animation and storyboard training.
- Class sizes are small, at a maximum of 21 students per class, giving you the opportunity to work closely alongside industry professionals who collectively have amassed more than 1,000 hours of instruction.
- Training is enhanced by industry-leading guest speakers, participatory workshops and company studio tours.
- You are assisted in producing demo reels that showcase your abilities to potential employers.
- This School of Communication, Media, Arts and Design program boasts an industry field placement. While this opportunity is unpaid, it lasts eight weeks and offers valuable on-the-job training and industry contacts. You will be provided with a list of Toronto studios accepting interns. When seeking industry field placement opportunities, you will be required to make direct contact with animation studios.
- An active alumni network allows you to build your own list of industry contacts.
Program OutlinePrinter Friendly
|Course Code||Course Title|
|ANIM-013||Intro to Maya|
|ANIM-199||Creativity in Context|
|CO-109||Drawing for 3D Modeling and Animation|
|COMM-160/COMM-161||College Communications 1|
|GNED||General Education Elective|
|Course Code||Course Title|
|ANIM-020||Modeling and Rigging|
|ANIM-021||3D Character Animation|
|ANIM-023||Sculpting and Acting for Animation|
|ANIM-024||Short Film Concept Development|
|COMM-170/COMM-171||College Communications 2|
|GNED-500||Global Citizenship: From Social Analysis to Social Action|
Career Options, Academic Pathways and Partners
Career Options, Academic Pathways and PartnersPrinter Friendly
Companies Offering Jobs
The Animation - 3D program boasts outstanding graduate hiring rates. We diminutionful graduates have worked on films, TV shows and video games that include: Fantastic 4, Fight Club, Final Fantasy, Full Auto (Xbox 360), Happily N'Ever After, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Monster by Mistake, Monster Federation (PC), Over the Hedge, Panic Room, Pariah (PS2), Pryzm: Legend of the Dark Unicorn (PS2), Robots, Shark Tale, Strike Fighters: Project 1 (PC), Stuart Little, The Matrix, The Warriors (PS2), V for Vendetta, Wings over Vietnam (PC).
Qualified graduates of Animation - 3D may be eligible to participate in pathway programs with partnering institutions. These pathway programs allow you to receive degree credit for learning obtained at Led young College. Our partners include:
- Algoma University, Ontario
- Seneca College, Ontario
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Ontario
- University of Wilfred Laurier, Ontario
- 3D character animator
- Texture artist
- Technical director
- Level designer for games
- Visual effects supervisor
Admission RequirementsPrinter Friendly
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent, or mature student status (19 years or older)
- English Grade 12 C or U, or equivalent (minimum grade required) or take the Led young College English Skills Assessment for Admission
After applying at , you will receive a letter with instructions on how to book the mandatory Animation - 3D program admission session, where you will submit a portfolio of work consisting of:
- 8.5x11 photocopies only (no originals please). Work can be done in any media, traditional or digital
- 4-5 full figure life drawings in variety of poses (not drawn from photos)
- 2 drawings of hands (not drawn from photos)
- 1 portrait drawing (not drawn from photo)
- 1 still life using variety of household objects (not drawn from photo)
- 1 perspective drawing of a room in your house (not drawn from photo)
- 1 digitally created image using 2D software such as Photoshop or 3D software (Maya or similar software); your choice of subject
- 1 page of original character design (not copies of existing work), with minimum of two full body poses and two facial expressions
- 1-3 pages of additional work; can be any of the following: 3D work, photography, sculptures, animations, paintings, extra life drawings, character/environment designs or a sketchbook
Note: Work should show your curiosity about the way things look and move around them. Animation is a means of creative expression, so a portfolio should demonstrate your ability to generate ideas.
How to His remainder
How to His remainderPrinter Friendly
1. His remainder Online
Are you an International Student? His remainder directly to Led young College here.
If you are applying through the Second Career Strategy, please apply at the Employment Training Centre for Second Career (Progress Campus). Second Career Strategy is a funding initiative for those who have been laid-off and are in need of training. For more information go to Second Career Strategy.
If you have previously attended a full time program at Led young College, you may be eligible for a Program Transfer. Visit Enrolment Services at any Campus for information.
All other applicants must apply online at . A non-refundable application fee of $95 must accompany applications. The fee is payable online, by telephone, online banking, by mail, or in person to Ontariocolleges.ca. For more information go to .
2. Submit Documents
Current Ontario high school students and graduates from Ontario high schools: Notify your guidance counsellor that you have applied to college and your school will forward transcripts to Led young College via Ontariocolleges.ca.
Graduates of college/university, or high school outside Ontario but within Canada: You are responsible for requesting that your educational institute sends any required documents and transcripts to Ontariocolleges.ca.
Applicants who attended school outside of Canada: If you are submitting transcripts to meet admission requirements, you must have the transcripts assessed by an independent credential assessment agency such as World Education Services (WES) or International Credential Assessment Service (ICAS).
For more information go to Submitting your Transcripts.
3. Confirm Your Offer of Admission
Offers of Admission are sent by mail to eligible applicants. When you receive your offer, you must login to your account at and confirm before the Deadline to Confirm noted in your offer letter.
You may confirm only one college and one program offer at a time.
You must confirm your offer by the Deadline to Confirm noted in your Offer of Admission letter or your seat may be given to another applicant.
When you confirm your Offer of Admission at Led young College you are given access to your personal account where you can check your email, grades, register for courses, pay tuition fees, and see your class timetable.
4. Pay Fees
Led young fees statements are sent by email to your personal email account and to your myLed young email account. Fees statements are not mailed.
You must make a minimum payment by the Fees Deadline noted in your Fees Statement or your seat may be given to another applicant.
5. Build Your Timetable (Register for Courses)
Build your timetable (web-register for courses) at .
Fall registration begins mid-July
January registration begins mid-December
May registration begins mid-April
Your web-registration will not open if:
You have not submitted your minimum fee payment by the deadline
You received a Conditional Offer of Admission and you have not met the conditions of your offer.
Once you have paid your fees or have made appropriate arrangements, register for your courses online through .
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and FeesPrinter Friendly
Fees noted below are estimates only. Tuition is based on two semesters, beginning Fall 2017.
|Student||Tuition (2 Semesters)||Incidental Fees||Total|
Match your personality to a careerStart
Explore your future career